- It is a knowledge-based agricultural system that use technology to increase value and quality of farm's produce.
- Mostly found around densely populated urban areas
Thursday, 14 April 2011
- It enables maximum output on a small plot of land and is thus particularly important in countries with high population density and limited land area.
- Crops produced from high-tech farms help to reduce the dependence on the food imported from other countries.
Posted by High-tech farming in Singapore at 01:18
- Land. Very little land is required as crops are grown closer together in high – tech farms. Sufficient amounts of nutrients can be delivered and distributed evenly to the crops at regular intervals.
· Capital. Due to the use of the
latest technology, farm chemicals and investments in research and development, high – tech farms
require huge capital.
· Labour. High – tech farms are highly mechanized. This reduces the need for human labour.
Posted by High-tech farming in Singapore at 01:13
Sunday, 10 April 2011
Saturday, 9 April 2011
Hydroponics-from the Greek words hydro (water) and ponos (labour), a method of growing plants using mineral.
- is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, in water and without soil.
-Terrestrial plants may be grown with their roots in the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium, such as perlite, gravel, mineral wool or coconut husk.
-No soil is needed
-The water stays in the system and can be reused - thus, lower water costs
-It is possible to control the nutrition levels in their entirely - thus, lower nutrition costs
-No nutrition pollution is released into the environment because of the controlled system
-Stable and high yields
-Pests and diseases are easier to get rid of than in soil because of the container's mobility.
-The hydroponic conditions (presence of fertilizer and high humidity) create an environment that stimulates salmonella growth.
-Other disadvantages include pathogen attacks such as damp-off due to Verticillium wilt caused by the high moisture levels associated with hydroponics and over watering of soil based plants.
-Many hydroponic plants require different fertilizers and containment systems.
Posted by High-tech farming in Singapore at 01:30